Re: OT: port scan

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:35:46 +0100, Philipp Schulte writes:
>"Show me the ISP that is willing to take these steps because of a
>portscanning script-kiddie.

kpnqwest.at for example ;-) t-online.de is another one, they take
 something like that pretty serious in the meantime.

>It just doesn't make sense to me to complain about some portscanner at
>_my_ provider.

Often it does, complaining as <abuse@kpnqwest.at> has sometimes more
 weight in $otherisps eyes than as <waldner@waldner.priv.at>, not only
 because we´re a fellow isp but also because another pair of eyes
 (which should have some clue at least) scanned the complaint for
 sanity.

> Since my provider is a university I know that they
>wouldn't be happy if I bug them with logfiles.

In the non-profit environment they may not be so eager because (I
 guess) you don´t give them any money at all, but for most isps, this
 matters (not alot with a simple dialup-customer, but bad publicity
 would also hit).

> If portscanning is not
>even illegal, how can I expect my provider to take steps against
>it?

This happened a few times, dropping a peering often helps because the
 other isp has to pay for more upstream...and it´s not only a matter of
 law but also of good business relationships and morale.

>But the other guy's provider might have prohibited that in their
>contract with their customers so they can ban this portscanner.

They are also the first to be expected to do something, but you only
have a single point of view, your isp has a much broader base.

&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /