Re: OT: port scan

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:56:57AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Philipp Schulte <p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> >If you say that portscanning isn't necessariy evil, how can you
> >suggest "Domain-level blocking of...mail, news, DNS...."?
>
> Hmm. You asked "what kind of pressure can [my provider] put on [evil
> guy's provider]", and Karsten answered - that is indeed the sort of
> pressure one provider can put on another (RBL [1], UDP [2], etc.). Your
> question wasn't about what kind of pressure providers *should* put on
> each other, or about portscanning in particular, and I didn't read the
> answer that way.

No, that's not what I asked. I was not talking about pressure on an
other provider but pressure on a customer of an other provider. Makes
a difference to me. I also wrote:
"Show me the ISP that is willing to take these steps because of a
portscanning script-kiddie. portsanning is not even illegal here in
Germany."
It just doesn't make sense to me to complain about some portscanner at
_my_ provider. Since my provider is a university I know that they
wouldn't be happy if I bug them with logfiles. If portscanning is not
even illegal, how can I expect my provider to take steps against
it? But the other guy's provider might have prohibited that in their
contract with their customers so they can ban this portscanner.
Phil