Re: Why not dselect?

Brian McGroarty wrote:

> Humor me; I think I'm missing something and it's got me curious.
>
> In discussions about dealing with .deb packages, apt* and dpkg are
> mentioned almost universally.
>
> It's always been my habit to use dselect for basic installation and
> removal, leaning on apt* and dpkg for troubleshooting and extended
> information gathering.
>
> The differentiation seems to be akin to using mutt versus piping
> things to /usr/bin/mail - you can do most basic tasks in both places,
> but mutt's presentation makes for quick work.
>
> Why so much apt and dpkg and so little dselect?

Good question; I've wondered the same thing. As far as I'm concerned,
dselect is the most brilliantly useful tool I've seen. It is the number
one reason (of many reasons of course) that Debian is the best Linux
distro. IMHO anyway.

Perhaps Power Users like dealing with each package individually. I don't
consider using a great tool for its intended purpose to necessarily be a
Sign of Weakness, though. Dunno. ;-)