Info can't find info files in /usr/share/info!

Hi All.

I just discovered that, somehow, the info files installed in
/usr/share/info cannot be found by either pinfo or GNU Info.  I don't
find a configuration option or an environment variable to set the info
search path.  Since quite a number of Debian packages are now putting
their info files in /usr/share/info, it would be quite nice to be able
to tell info where to find them rather than create a bunch of symlinks
to /usr/info.

Any ideas, good guesses?

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good