ppp doesn't work with kernel 2.4.0-test11

I have recently compiled a 2.4.0-test11 kernel.  I am using it with a
mainly potato distribution.  However, in order to get things working I
have needed to upgrade to a number of woody packages.  In particular,
I have upgraded util-linux, modutils, e2fsprogs and ppp.

When I try to use pon to start a ppp connection, it almost is
successful, but right at the end comes up with:

pppd:  Serial connection established
pppd:  Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument

I cannot think what is wrong.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.

--