Re: Debian 2.2 crashes with Netscape..help

on Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 07:27:57PM -0800, Francesco Bochicchio (fbochicchio@galactica.it) wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 02:18:27PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > This isn't a crash, it's a system slowdown.
>
> The 'VM' messages seem to hint to Virtual Memory problems, however.
> I've read that the latest 2.2.x kernels have some VM problems.
>
> > Almost certainly resulting
> > from insufficient free memory.  Netscape is a memory pig, and 32 MB RAM
> > is almost certainly insufficient given the clients you're running --
> > GNOME is also fairly intensive.
> >
> > Get more memory, get a better box, or ditch GNOME and/or Netscape.  96 -
> > 128 MB is recommended for a typical current-generation workstation.
> >
> When I had only 16 MB on my laptop, I was able to run gnome and Netscape.
> Gnome (or KDE) took 2 minutes to start and Netscape took 1 minute,
> but I could (barely) use them. I found out that the combo
> WindowMaker+Netscape produced a workable setup.
> (I did upgraded it to 80 MB, though).

I prefer WindowMaker myself, and find that even on my (relatively)
speedy workstation at the office (450 MHz, 128 MB, SCSI), there's a
distinct performance difference between it and either KDE or GNOME.
Frankly, the "full-featured" desktops don't appeal to me at all.

> The real memory pig is X itself (on my laptop, it took about 8 MB of RSS).
> I found out that using only 16 bits per pixel (that is 65535 colors)
> helped a bit.

Reducing color and/or resolution will help markedly.  If you can't
upgrade your entire system, the single largest perforance (and/or
functionality) benefits may come from a high-end video card.  I tend to
weight my systems toward video, memory, disk and processor performance,
in that order.  Processor generally isn't a bottleneck, and very
frequently carries a high price penalty for a marginal performance
improvement.

If you can stand it, monochrome X has its appeals.  Actually looks
pretty good on most systems, and very sharp.

> I also proceeded to reduce the number of running daemons, including
> the number of getty, removing any unneeded services ( and on a Laptop this
> means almost all ).

This will also help, particularly minimizing daemon usage.

> Anyway my desktop with 'only' 64 MB has no problems (I run Gnome,
> netscape/mozilla, postgreSQL, apache, ... ).

"No problems" vs. "runs like a top" are rather different measures.  I
not that my once speedy PII-180/96MB system no seems a bit the
laggard....