Re: Workstation and IP-Masquerading

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:02:14 +0100, Robert Kasunic said:

> Hi,
>
>  I have two PC's at home and would like to share my internet connection
>  (DSL) between them. As I don't want a third computer here running all the time
>  I was thinking to enable IP-Masquerading on one of them and build a
>  firewall on it as well. It will be running Samba too. Nevertheless I'd like to
>  continue using these PC's as Workstations.
>
>  Does that seem to be a useful approach? I would really appreciate any
>  opions or suggestions you might have. TIA.

	Well i have the same situation with my cable connection and after
seeing all the cable hits my machine was getting from the net, even
though i had ipchains running i felt i wanted to isolate my pc with a
router/firewall.
	I estimated an old 486 and some NIC's would cost about a
$100. But since i didn't want another noisy big box around i
got a Netgear gateway-router for only a few dollars more.
	This little gem has a 4-port 10/100 switch built in for your LAN,
   acts as DHCP client and server, does NAT (ip masquerading), has programmable
filters just like ipchains rules, port forwarding and logs filter hits and more
to syslog so i can see the logs running xconsole on the desk top.
	I was able to just plug it in and run with the default filter rules
then
later added more fliters  so that a outside port scan from shields-up and
hackerwhacker  shows my ports closed (about 2000 actually scanned).
You can read a review and user opinions at practicallynetworked.com.

gEEk||dOOd^Deb+iaN&&XFce$aaZZ goes<Pronto>(-_-)