Re: horrible single `quotes' in font fixed

Vi scribis:
> Hello all,
Hi!
> I've used the font `fixed' as long as I can remember and I liked the
What's THE font fixed? Checking out xfontsel, there are 3 fonts named
"fixed" and a few other ones, which are fixed fonts
> fact that the backtick (`) and the single quote (') had a symmetrical
> appearance.  Since I've been using xfree4 this has changed: the
> backtick is slanted backwards and the single quote is completely
> vertical.  How horrible!  Imagine how terrible my TeX-files will look!
IMHO, that's not a bad idea to be able to distinguish backticks from single
quotes ...

> Can anyone tell me how to get my old fixed-font back, or how to `edit'
> this font

1) Select a font with xfontsel and then paste your selection to ~/.Xdefaults,
like
rxvt*font: -misc-fixed-medium-*-normal-*-15-140-75-75-c-*-iso8859-1

man rxvt,xterm,X ...

Then your x-terminal-emulator (rxvt, like in the case above or xterm ...)
will start up with the chosen font.

2) Or if you are using a desktop environment like gnome or kde and its
respective terminal-emulator (gnome-terminal, konsole) choose your font
directly in the options menu

Furthermore:

3) Add a new font to X and update the font-path ... and step to 1) or 2)

HTH

--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel
mailto: mh@seitung.net