soundcore module

What is the soundlow & the soundcore used for?

I'm just trying to get my Sonic Impact to work (which should be a OSS
card) and cannot find any of the below modules in 'make xconfig'. The
present deb 2.2 has both modules loaded but I have no idea what they
are used for. The installation routine (by booting from CD#1) had as
far as I can remember a various list of sound options which I'm not
able to find in the xconfig app.

Would someone help to clarify?

Partly out of 'lsmod' (current installation):

sound                  57592   0  (unused)
soundlow                 416   0  [sound]
soundcore               2628   3  [sound]

Robert