compiling Realtek into kernel

Make xconfig greyed the Realtek driver 8139 selection out although
10/100 ethernet support has been selected. I played a bit with
selecting other options but never managed to get the Realtek driver
option active!

This is even more mysterious since this mashine has this ethernet card
installed and is currently recognized by the potato 2.2.16 kernel
(after a clean installation 10 days ago).

After having problems to get my soundcard to work I need to rebuild
the kernel and now this!

'Make mrproper' was launched before starting 'make xconfig', so
nothing should influence the process of creating a new kernel.

Would someone be so kind to help?

Robert