Re: I messed up Xfree86

%% Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

  km> OK I've never  understood what's so great about  high resolutions. The
  km> higher  the resolution,  the smaller  the  stuff on  your screen,  the
  km> closer to  the screen you sit, the  more you squint to  see stuff, the
  km> sooner you go  blind. Also, the screen flickers more,  so you go blind
  km> *and*  crazy faster  than otherwise.

If you have a big enough monitor (a nice 21" flat monitor with a decent
display area, for example) then even at high resolutions it's not so
bad.  Also, any modern hardware should be able to drive a monitor at
1280x1024 (or even higher) at _very_ reasonable refresh rates; no
problem with screen flickers.

As for sizes, that's up to you.  The higher resolution gives you the
ability to get much cleaner text at smaller physical sizes, so you can
read more easily, sometimes, even at slightly smaller sizes.  If you get
a big enough monitor it's not a big deal.

As for why, it's obvious (to me): I'm much productive when I can see
more stuff at once.  With a 21" monitor in 1600x1400 like I have at
work, I can fit easily fit 3 non-overlapping 80x24 xterms vertically
using a reasonable-sized 8x13 font, and a decent Emacs window next to
them using -misc-fixed-medium-*-15-140-*, which is 80x72.  I can see a
lot of code at once in 72 lines, and I get ~35 lines of code if I have a
split buffer.  And, that leaves room for window manager decorations and
button bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

I _need_ all those windows, and it's simpler for me if more are visible
at the same time.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools