Re: Mozilla M18 on potato (pentium100)

I heard that Leen Besselink wrote this on 04/11/00:

> Sounds like you logged in as a regular user, opened up a terminal program
> like xterm, Eterm, Konsole, etc., and su'd (with the 'su' command or
> similair) to root and tryed to start mozilla as root. This does not work
> in Unix en thus Linux. In Unix de user that 'owns' the 'X' process that is
> running is the Only user that can modify the X-screen, not even root can
> do that.       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^

Not exactly true. The great power behind X is that you can run clients from
other machines and see them on your display.

Actually, as root, he's being denied access. But if he adds his own host to
the access control list (with the xhost command - "xhost +hostname.dom"), he
is now allowed in.

	sena@decoy:~$ su -
	Password:
	decoy:~# export DISPLAY=localhost:0
	decoy:~# xclock
	Xlib: connection to "localhost:0.0" refused by server
	Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
	Error: Can't open display: localhost:0
	decoy:~# logout
-->	sena@decoy:~$ xhost +localhost
	localhost being added to access control list
	sena@decoy:~$ su -
	Password:
	decoy:~# export DISPLAY=localhost:0
	decoy:~# xclock