RE: Upgrading video card: Best of these three?

> From: Kristian Rink [mailto:celestial_spirit@web.de]
> "Jonathan Gift" <jgift@wanadoo.fr> schrieb am 03.11.00:
>
> > I'm upgrading my video card...
> > Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
> > Matrox Millenium 5400 32MB
>                    ~~~~
> =G400? If yes, this one should do fine, as well

 Both of these are solid cards, and with good Linux support. I got a
chance to play with a Matrox G400 32MB about a month ago - I only had
about a day, though. I couldn't seem to get the maximum speed out of
the utah-glx driver in that time, but Quake III was, just barely,
playable. The 2D quality was quite good, though.

> No problems, for what I know, for both cards. Any other
> experiences, anybody? :)))

 I got an ATI Rage Pro (Xpert 98) working with Debian without too much
effort. Not the fastest card in the world but useful for some things.
ATI has promised Radeon support, but I don't think it's here yet.
Based on their track record I believe it will come, though.

> > Any other sugestions appreciated. I left off the NVIDIA 5or
> close to it) crds because the GeForce2 seem to prefer XF 4.0x.

 Yup. I've got a TNT and I'm gradually getting support going for it
in my Debian 2.2 installation. There are older, slower drivers for X
3.3.x, but for full speed you need 4.0.

> I don't at all recommend
> running nvidia-based cards in XF 4.x for the following reasons:
>
> (a) NVIDIAs drivers for those cards (even while being fast)
> are obviously still *very* unreliable

 Their *first* drivers for 3.3.x have been very stable for me, albeit
about half as fast as the Windows drivers on my TNT card. I don't
know about 4.0.1, yet.

> (c) nvidia still is not very cooperative in providing the developers
> of `open` driver systems with information... This is why I am tending
> to ask people to please DO NOT SUPPORT companies like nvidia and their
> attempt of  bringing proprietary drivers to Linux... Thank You!

 To be fair, it's not really Nvidia's fault, they licensed technology
for their cards from other people and don't have the right to release
the source code for driving that stuff.

 That being said, though, I probably won't buy an Nvidia card next time.
I won't be upgrading until the middle of next year or so, and I hope by
then the Radeon support will have come.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

    "Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do."
                       - Bertrand Russell