Re: web browser

"John-Mark" <jmj@event-horizon.org> writes:

> Hi I have recently installed Debian Linux as my first distribution
> of Linux. I cant find the web browser Netscape on the official cd's
> or any other web browser can any one tell me if there is a web
> browser on the cd's if not Netscape then what and how do i find
> it.

Debian consists only of Free Software, Netscape is not Free Software,
so it's not part of Debian The official Debian distribution contains
only main/ and contrib/, not non-free/.

But, there's also this section "non-free", which you can find on many
Debian mirrors. Netscape is there, so you can install it via the
internet.

Have a look at your /etc/apt/sources.list and 'man
sources.list'. There you can configure, where APT should search for
packages.

Sure there are web browsers in Debian...mostly text based. There's
also Mozilla, but a quiet old version (M14, AFAIK). If you want to try
Mozilla, I recommend the latest release M18 or the current nightly
builds..

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>