samba/win for workgroups problem

Hello:

I have one Linux (Debian) machine and one legacy Windows for Workgroups
machine on a private network.  All worked well (i.e. they shared files
and printers) until this morning, when I decided it was time to change the
passwords.  I haven't been able to get the WFW -> Linux host communication
to function since, while the other direction seems to work fine.

The following are what I believe are the relevant particulars:

  Changed user's password on Linux host with 'passwd', changed samba
  user's via 'smbpasswd' and also for WFWG 3.11 sign-on (i.e. same
  everywhere).

  Both

    smbclient -L linux_host
    smbclient -L wfwg_host

  function properly for the user.

  'root' can mount the WFW C nd D drives, and perform listings on
  them.

  When i realized that I had problems, I set 'syslog = 3' in smb.conf
  and set smbd options in /etc/inetd.conf to "-a -d3".  Killed smbd and
  let inetd restart it for all tests (used /etc/init.d/inetd stop/start
  for this).

  Set 'security = user" (was share when it worked, but this didn't seem
  to work either after the password change) in smb.conf

  Set 'user = provinsd' in [homes] section (previously this was not used).

  Unfortunately, I cannot access provinsd's shared directory on the Linux
  host from WFWG 3.11 machine.  Says password is invalid.  Message in
  /var/log/auth.log is:

    Nov  2 13:14:03 ve6cta PAM_unix[23380]: authentication failure; (uid=0)
      -> **unknown** for samba service
    Nov  2 13:14:04 ve6cta PAM_unix[23380]: authentication failure;
      (uid=0) -> **unknown** for samba service
    Nov  2 13:14:06 ve6cta smbd[23380]: [2000/11/02 13:14:06, 1]
      smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(925)
    Nov  2 13:14:06 ve6cta smbd[23380]:   Rejecting user 'provinsd':
      authentication failed

Apparently it recognizes that 'provinsd' is trying to connect, but
presumably, something is wrong with the password, or it thinks
'provinsd' is 'root' and 'root' isn't allowed to connect.

I've spent hours trying various combinations, and can't seem to get
this going again.

Other smb.conf parameters that may be relevant, mos of which I didn't
touch are the following:

  [global]
    guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root