Re: Voice recognition (ViaVoice Dictation?)

"Francesco Bochicchio" <fbochicchio@galactica.it> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:29:11AM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> > Is anyone doing anything with voice recognition under Debian?
> >
> > I purchased ViaVoice Dictation for Redhat and I've tried to install it
> > under Debian with no success. If anyone's succeeded at this I'd be
> > interested in hearing from them.
> >
> I don't have the software, but anyway : did you try alien ?
> You could also use ldd to search which libraries the program need and
> then do apt-cache --search to find out which packages contain the
> needed libraries ( I think alien does something close to this).

Thanks Francesco. I was indeed using alien but I was converting the
RPM's to tgz files and then I tried to install them in /usr/local
manually. Something in ViaVoice Dictation doesn't like being installed
in /usr/local, because I then converted the RPM files directly to .deb
files and ViaVoice dictation is working like a champ.

So, if anyone else is considering buying ViaVoice Dictation for Linux
and running it under Debian potato the only trick is to convert the
RPM files to *.deb files and you'll be good to go.

Gary