Re: libc6 >=2.1.94

john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:
JG> Trying to install libmng_0.9.2-3.deb (from the command line)
JG> to satisfy a dependency of libqt2.2_2.2.1-4.potato.2_i386.deb
JG> and progress on to KDE2, I get the following error:-
JG> 	libmng depends on libc6 (>=2.1.94)
JG> 	version of libc6 on system is 2.1.3-10
JG>
JG> I've checked the error message twice - it's definately 2.1.94.
JG>
JG> I can find no libc6 greater than 2.1.3-13.  Can anyone explain what is
JG> happening?			Thanks,	John.

94 > 3, so 2.1.94 > 2.1.3.  2.1.9x is the version of GNU libc from
unstable; it's been Having Issues [1], and so installing it might not
be the best thing to randomly try.  It's probably a bug in the
backported KDE Potato debs if they depend on packages from Woody.  Is
there libmng in Potato you can try?

[1] Does anybody else besides me remember the GNU libc 2.0
announcement?  When they announced that it'd be the last libc upgrade
you'd ever need, and they were going to solve all of the binary
compatibility problems with the C library for ever and ever?  Maybe
it's just me.  <shrug>

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell