Re: Woody

john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:
JG> I have used Slink and now use Potato. As I seem to be getting
JG> problems installing KDE on Potato and many people say they
JG> are running Woody successfully, I wonder if I shall go to Woody.

Well, remember, Woody is Debian's *unstable* branch.  Which means that
things occasionally can, and do, break rather unfortunately.  If
you're going to run Woody, you should probably be prepared to file bug
reports (the more detailed the better) for things that break, and
don't complain too loudly if they do.

JG> Normally, I install from CD but of course there is none for Woody.
JG> I've just realised that I don't know what it is that makes Slink Slink,
JG> Potato Potato or Woody Woody.  How then can I go to Woody
JG> and how select what packages to upgrade/install?

You'd make an appropriate change in your APT sources.list, most likely.

JG> I have a 56K modem and have to pay line charges. Whilst I don't
JG> mind spending a reasonable time downloading, I've no wish to be on
JG> line for many hours ( the tarball of a kernel takes 70 - 80
JG> minutes which is quite acceptable).

Right now, I suspect that upgrading Potato->Woody would most likely
involve upgrading just about every package.  It's probably also a good
idea to periodically upgrade to the newest Woody.  This probably isn't
that great idea with a slow, per-minute dialup line.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell