can't get kbd focus with Voodoo3 2k / Tuxracer

Hi, folks!

I finally got my system to run Tuxracer 3D accelerated (I assume that it
will work for other Mesa based programs too, then). The only problem is
that I don't get the keyboard focus: After I close Tuxracer (CTRL-C),
everything I typed during the game shows up in the window from which I
started the game.
The system looks like this:  Debian (Woody) with X 3.3.6 and kernel
2.2.17. I am running Gnome with Enlightenment as the WM. Mesa was
installed from mesag3-glide2_3.2.1-1.deb.
Does anyone have any hints as to how I could get Tuxracer (and similar
programs) running and accepting keyboard input?

Thanks in advance,
Juergen