Re: whence "ping -w"?

A short time ago, at a computer terminal far, far away, Carel Fellinger wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me where to find this ping command that offers a "-w"
>> option (or any other option to set the timeout)?  Or maybe I'm just crazy
>
>ping -i <some-number>

No, that's the delay between multiple packets, not the timeout for each
packet.

Actually, it looks like "-w" isn't what I thought it was (timeout for
waiting for a response), but rather "wait time", after which ping will
exit.

I eventually found the "-w" option for ping in netkit-0.17, and it describes
the options as:

     -i wait
             Wait wait seconds between sending each packet. The default is to
             wait for one second between each packet.  This option is incom-
             patible with the -f option.

     -w waittime
             Cause ping to exit after waittime seconds, independently of other
             considerations.

So, it's not what I thought it meant, but still does what I need. :).  Now,
though, I guess I'm wondering why debian/woody uses the ping from only
netkit-0.10 rather than from 0.70..  Anyone know?

--
Will Day     <PGP mail preferred>     OIT / O&E / Technical Support
willday@rom.oit.gatech.edu            Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715