I broke my GLX!

I had GLX (utah-glx) working under XFree 4.0.1. Then I downgraded back
to 3.3.6 (by symlinking the X directories to their backup copies). I've got

Section "Module"
   Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/glx.so"
EndSection

and

   Option  "no_font_cache"
   Option  "no_pixmap_cache"

in the "Device" section,
and /etc/X11/glx.conf is the same as  before, but no go:  X starts up
with no mention of the glx module being loaded. (Incidentally,
the utahglx page at sourceforge says utah-glx will work with 3.3.6 and
not 4.0.1, but for me it seems to be the other way around!)

Now, I'm pretty sure that before upgrading X, the glx module was being
loaded. I just didn't know how to test it. Now I test it with bubble3d
from xscreensaver-gl.  Works under  4.0.1, segfaults under  3.3.6 (not
surprising  since by  all  appearances the  glx  module isn't  loaded,
though a segfault seems like a lousy way to die).

I  have rtfm'd  to the  best  of my  abilities. Anybody  guess what  I'm
forgetting?

I'm posting this here as well as in an X newsgroup because I have been
almost  exclusively  running  debs  of  the  relevant  software.  Most
recently the utah-glx debs found via freshmeat.net.

I don't really understand the relationship between Mesa, GLX,
utah-glx, glutg3, and so on.

If  you  have  glx working,  tell  me  which  debs (or  tarballs)  you
installed from.

-chris