Re: Woody

john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:

> I have a 56K modem and have to pay line charges. Whilst I don't
> mind spending a reasonable time downloading, I've no wish
> to be on line for many hours ( the tarball of a kernel takes 70 - 80
> minutes which is quite acceptable).
>
> Would someone kindly suggest what options are open to me
> and which might be expedient. I have a stand-alone box with basic
> hardware - 500MHz CPU, ide drives, cdrom, floppy, sound and
> graphics cards  and modem.	Thanks,	John.

My suggestion  would be  to not bother  upgrading unless  your current
setup  is lacking  something you  need. Unix  has been  around  for 30
years, it's not changing *that* fast..  My impression is that many
people upgrade for  the sake of upgrading, and  because it forces them
to upgrade other things, thus providing an endless source of material for
procrastination. Or maybe I'm just projecting.

-chris