Re: /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin?

William T Wilson <fluffy@snurgle.org> writes:

> On 31 Oct 2000, Hubert Chan wrote:
>
> > My sudoers file is basically just
> >   hubert ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> This can be extremely convenient.  But it also makes the security of the
> whole system equal to the security of your user account.

Not quite.  It makes my password equivalent to a root password.  And it just so
happens that my root password is the same as my normal account password
anyways.  ;-) Yes, I know it's not the best thing to do, but I can't keep track
of that many passwords.

> If you are worried about security, and you have a situation like this, you
> have to take as much care with your personal account as you would with
> root.  So you must never type passwords unencrypted over the network,
> leave yourself logged in, etc. unless you are sure that the situation is
> secure.

Leaving myself logged in is OK, because sudo asks for my password.  If someone
knew my password so that they could use sudo, they could log into my account
anyways, so I'm not too worried about that.

And no, my password never goes unencrypted over the network. ;-)

Hubert