Re: ppp install failing (loopback?)

daved declared,

> Quoting hawk (hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu):

> > Unfortunately, pppconfig doesn't seem to like me.  After changing an
> > irq, it now finds my modem.  It takes all the information from me that
> > it thinks it should need, and then tells me that it failed to make a
> > connection.  Judging by a brief flash on the screen (why are error
> > messages *still* going to the screen where they're not visible or
> > recordable after all these years?), it may be using the provider script
> > rather than the psu script I told it to use.  I've tried editing
> > provider, but with the same results.
> >
> > Checking /var/log/syslog, it appears that the message is that the tty
> > is looping back to itself.  (horrible idea that just hit me: does this
> > mean that this old modem for which I have no documetnation is set to
> > half-duplex?? it's a gateway from a 486 with a set of 8 dip switches .
> > . .)

> Is that *all* the log says? Does the modem dial? Is there a response
> from the other end?

pretty close.  There's no dial tone.  In fact, it's so fast to fail
that it can't have talked to the modem.

> Until your modem makes a connection, it will normally be reflecting
> back to you everything you send to it. Here's a fragment:

> Oct  7 23:00:49 home chat[1879]: send (ATZ^M)         <-------sent

I don't think it gets this far.  I'll bring a disk in in the morning.

There is also a reference (sometimes) to a pid that has locked ppp, but
there is never a corresponding entry in /var/lock

> You might try posting the log (sanitised like the above).

I'll post it tomorrow.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
dochawk@psu.edu