ppp install failing (loopback?)

I've never tried to install over ppp before.  In fact, my one round of
ppp with a working installation was a nightmare.  However, I've trying
to face it for my home machine (and will need to do so again for the
kids).

I made the resc1440 and root disks, and copied these and the base and
drivers tgz's to a zip.  These were then stuffed into a spare (to
become swap) partition, and I got the base system installed.

Unfortunately, pppconfig doesn't seem to like me.  After changing an
irq, it now finds my modem.  It takes all the information from me that
it thinks it should need, and then tells me that it failed to make a
connection.  Judging by a brief flash on the screen (why are error
messages *still* going to the screen where they're not visible or
recordable after all these years?), it may be using the provider script
rather than the psu script I told it to use.  I've tried editing
provider, but with the same results.

Checking /var/log/syslog, it appears that the message is that the tty
is looping back to itself.  (horrible idea that just hit me: does this
mean that this old modem for which I have no documetnation is set to
half-duplex?? it's a gateway from a 486 with a set of 8 dip switches .
. .)

What do I do next?

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
dochawk@psu.edu