Re: using outgoing smtp server with mh (where's the fm? :)

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 06:41:02PM -0400, Richard E. Hawkins wrote
> There's probably an easy, stock answer for this, but I'm not finding it.
>
> To keep the network folks happy, this machine needs to be incapable of
> sending mail on its own.  I've reconfigured exim to deliver locally
> only, but I can't find what I need to do to have mail from mh sent to my
> outgoing smtp server with the appropriate name and password.
>
> Could someone point me to the fm I should rt? :)

Rather than configuring exim to only deliver locally,
you should configure it to send all non-local mail via
a smarthost, and specify your outgoing smtp server as
the smarthost.  You can do this part easily enough using
eximconfig.

It may be possible to do this using mh alone but I'd be
surprised if it went so far as to support smtp authentication on
outgoing mail, which is an unusual requirement in the Unix
world.

"Connecting to an outgoing SMTP server" amounts to "Sending mail
on its own"; I suspect that they mean sending mail directly to
outside hosts, or via hosts other than their outgoing SMTP
server, so using exim with them as a smarthost shouldn't be a
problem (just make sure you aren't an open relay).

Because your outgoing server requires authentication, you should
read the section of the exim docs that deals with this ("SMTP
Authentication").  You will need to find out what authorization
type your smtp server uses, and configure exim to use
appropriate credentials for that server (AFAICT the standard
Potato exim supports the MD5 and PlainText authentication
methods).

I haven't done this myself (I've never seen the point of SMTP
authentication, except perhaps to work around braindamaged
systems that have no other way of controlling connections), but
it seems to be reasonably well documented in the exim-doc
package.

Good luck,

John Pearson.
--