Re: ran out of input data

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:11:39PM -0500, Kent West wrote
> > Andrew Martin wrote:
> >
> > I am trying, to no avail, to install Debian 2.2 thru Windows.  I
> > haven't been able to get my CD drive to work since it is not a
> > conventional IDE drive.  It attaches to its own sound card.
> > Anyhow....
> >
> > 1: I have defrag'ed the drive
> > 2: I turned off the virtual memory in win 95
> > 3: I fips to split the partition
> > 4: I rebooted the computer and re-enabled the virtual memory in win95
> > 5: I ran scan disk and everything looked ok
> > 6: I copyed the following files to the desktop
> >     boot.bat
> >     linux
> >     loadlin.exe
> >     root.bin
> >        These were all copyed from the install folder on the CD
> > 7: I right clicked on the boot.bat file
> > 8: Went to properties
> > 9: Clicked on the advanced button
> > 10: Checked the ms-dos mode box
> > 11: Exited the properties menu
> > 12: I then double clicked on the MS-DOS shortcut to boot.bat
> > 13: It gave me a warning that this was going to run in dos
> > 14: I clicked ok and below is what I got
> >
> > uncompressing linux
> >
> > ran out of input data
> >
> > system halted
> >
> > I am installing this on a 66mhz 486DX2 with 16MB of memory.  From what
> > I have read that should be enough to do it.  Should I quit trying to
> > use my current CD drive and just spring for a new IDE drive?  This is
> > so frustrating.
> >
> > If anyone wants to they can e-mail me direct at
> > uncleandy1@bartnet.net
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Can you get to your CD-ROM from DOS only? Rather than trying to run
> boot.bat from a Windows icon, exit Windows with the MS-DOS Mode option.
> If the DOS drivers for your CD are in CONFIG.DOS (SYS) and AUTOEXEC.DOS
> (BAT), you should be able to access your CD-ROM drive directly and
> install from there.
>
> Alternatively, do the following:
> Create a directory on C: such as "C:\DEBIAN". Place the files you
> mentioned in this directory instead of on the desktop. Also, you might
> want to include the resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin files. I'm not positive
> they're needed, but I THINK one or both of them is needed. Then, as
> above, instead of trying to run boot.bat from Windows, exit Windows into
> the MS-DOS Mode. Then "cd \debian" to get into the C:\DEBIAN directory,
> and then enter "boot".

If your CDROM isn't an IDE or SCSI CDROM, or it's connected to
an ISA/PNP card, then you'll definitely need rescue.bin and the
file drivers.tgz, so that you can load the driver required for
your CDROM and continue from there via CDROM.  You may also
want to consider putting base2_2.tgz there, so that you
don't have to rely on your CDROM drive to install the base
system.

> That'll probably get you farther along.
>
> I think that when you run boot.bat from the desktop, Windows uses
> C:\WINDOWS as the working directory instead of
> "C:\WINDOWS\[Profiles\UserName\]DESKTOP", which is why the installation
> can't find the files that it needs. Putting everything in "C:\DEBIAN"
> should solve this problem.

You also should try to identify your CDROM type before
proceeding, so that you don't end up sweating over it trying to
figure out which of the half-dozen or so likely drivers is
appropriate while your machine is no longer running Windows,
but not yet running Debian.  What make & model is it?

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au