Re: Expiring mail

Arcady Genkin wrote:
> This is a valid point, but for several reasons I prefer mailboxes.
> For one I am subscribed to many maling lists with high traffic, and I
> don't want to waste inodes.  Also, I'm not sure if procmail will work
> with maildir.  I also use Qmail, but have it deliver to mailboxes.
>
> So, the question is still open; Is there a utility to be run from cron
> to go through mailboxes and expire messages by deleting them or
> archive them by moving somewhere else?

My setup is not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll describe it
anyway, in the hope it might be useful.

I use mutt to read mail, and configure mutt to move read mail out of my
mailboxes and into ~/mail/spool/ and ~/mail/old/. The former for stuff I
don't want to archive forever, the later for stuff I do.

At 3 am each night, I run a little program that uses savelog, to rotate
the old mailboxes for the day out of the way, into files name foo.1,
foo.2, etc. For all the stuff in the ~/mail/spool/ directory, I delete
foo.14 or so.

The effect is, I have access to the past week of list mail, saved in
boxes according to the day I read it.

--
see shy jo