Re: Expiring mail

Christopher Mosley <cmosley@voicenet.com> writes:

> > I'm looking for something that would be able to:
> > 1.  Delete messages older than a specified date.
> > 2.  Move messages older than a specified date (i.e. archive them
> >     away).
>
> This would be quite easy if your mail is in Maildir format. Since you
> say "mailbox" I assume this is not the case. Qmail used to create mbox by
> default with the option to compile with Maildir.

This is a valid point, but for several reasons I prefer mailboxes.
For one I am subscribed to many maling lists with high traffic, and I
don't want to waste inodes.  Also, I'm not sure if procmail will work
with maildir.  I also use Qmail, but have it deliver to mailboxes.

So, the question is still open; Is there a utility to be run from cron
to go through mailboxes and expire messages by deleting them or
archive them by moving somewhere else?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin