Re: debbugs -- won't process bugs/respond to queries

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 12:23:51AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I realize there's a debbugs mailing list but it's seen a total of four
> posts for this year, I thought debian-user might be more useful.
>
> I'm maintining a debbugs installation inhereted from another admin.
> Following a server move, after which it initially *did* work, the system
> hasn't been processing bugs (handling new requests) or responding to
> queries via the "request" address for the past several days.
>
> Major subsystems on the box *do* work -- mail, browser, cron, etc.  Not
> sure what else debbugs requires, the documentation is *very* sparse.
>
> At this point I'd appreciate some assistance in tracking down and
> identifying the issues with the system, probably focussing on stupid
> mistakes (hopefully mine) and/or what I should be checking.

More data.

First, in what may or may not be a related problem, running "apt-get
update" on the same system results in:

    [root@bugs:msglog]$ apt-get update
	0% [Connecting to localhost] [Connecting to localhost]

...which is somewhat less than optimal.  Not sure why this is,
/etc/apt/sources is:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
	deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US frozen non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

under /var/spool/exim/msglog, I find many files which contain contents
similar to:

    2000-08-11 01:08:00 debbugs@bugs.opensales.org: debbugs_pipe
	transport failed: Child process of debbugs_pipe transport returned
	100 from command: /usr/lib/debbugs/receive
	*** Frozen (delivery error message)

Running /usr/lib/debbugs/receive by hand as user debbugs, I get:

	debbugs@bugs:/usr/local/www/sites/debbugs$ /usr/lib/debbugs/receive
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 27.
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 30.
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 54.
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 60.
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 61.
	Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/debbugs/receive line 66.

	 Unknown bug service address @bugs.opensales.org.
	 Recognised addresses are:

		 General:       Read bug# in Subject:    bug# is NNNN:

		  request        submit  bug             NNNN  NNNN-submit
		  control        maintonly                NNNN-maintonly
		  owner          quiet                    NNNN-quiet
		  postmaster     forwarded                NNNN-forwarded
						 done  close              NNNN-done  NNNN-close
						 submitter                NNNN-submitter

	 (all @bugs.opensales.org.)

	 For instructions via the WWW see:
	   http://bugs.opensales.org/
	   http://bugs.opensales.org/Reporting.html
	   http://bugs.opensales.org/Developer.html
	   http://bugs.opensales.org/Access.html
	 Instructions are available from ftp.debian.org
	and at all Debian mirror sites, in the files:
	   debian/doc/bug-reporting.txt
	   debian/doc/bug-log-access.txt
	   debian/doc/bug-maint-info.txt
	 For details of how to access bug report logs by email:
	   send `request@bugs.opensales.org' the word `help'

...which makes me suspect I'm not invoking the script properly or am failing to initialize something.  I'm not sure where /usr/lib/debbugs/receive is supposed to be run by (which was why I wanted to install glimpse which is why I'm noting apt-get fails....).

Thoughts, anyone?