Re: no xdm on startup

suresh kumar wrote:

> HI,
>
> How to configure a slink/potato so that xdm *DO NOT*
> start on bootup. I want them to start only on startx.
>
> Any ideas?

If I understand you correctly and you want to get rid of xdm, my favorite is:

dpkg --purge xdm (or gdm etc.)

(assuming that you're a stand-alone user or that no one else on your system wants a
GUI startup)

Then  'startx' works fine.

Even better than simply using startx, create a  few small script files that execute
the startx command after first adjusting your '~/.xsession' file for the session you
want to start. Works really well for choosing between a gnome or a regular session
without using a GUI logon. :-)

John