Re: VMware with potato - any issues?

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 11:24:10PM +0200, Hans wrote:

> >It works like a charm.  Win4Lin also works (less features, but faster),
> >but was a bit more of a hassle to set up (ymmv).
> >

> Tell me about it. I tried it today. Downloaded the .deb (which I think is
> nothing more than a alienated rpm), patched the kernel, installed it, but
> winsetup just keeps crashing on me. I eventually got DOS working, but there
> is no way to set up WIN95/98 via the commandline. I'm downloading the
> general evaluation copy, see if that works. So how did you do it?

I'm not really sure what was causing most of my difficulties.  I had a
number of problems.  The install script didn't work, since it looks for
rpm before dpkg (I have alien installed, which depends on rpm) and if
it finds it tries a rpm install, which fails on debian systems (can't
find /bin/sh --which doesn't show up in the rpm database-- or something
like that).  Installing the .deb with dpkg worked fine.

I think I must have messed something up in the process and finally
ended up removing all traces of Windows (including ~/win and ~/.merge)
and re-installed it from scratch.  The second time everything worked.
I never figured out what really caused the original problem. The
support on the win4lin-users mailing list was pretty helpful.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen