Re: formatting mod

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 11:31:52AM +0100, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> I tried mkfs.vfat and it says the same:
>
> alphons:/home/khe# mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc
> mkfs.vfat 2.5 (07 Jan 2000)
> mkfs.vfat: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/sdc'

not surprising:

[eb@plato eb]$ ls -l /sbin/mkfs.vfat
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Jan  7  2000 /sbin/mkfs.vfat -> mkdosfs
[eb@plato eb]$

> I guess, there must be something missing. Perhaps DOS formatted
> superfloppies need an extra treatment in addition?

yes, read the mkdosfs man page and you find this gem:

       -I     Normally you are not  allowed  to  use  any  'full'
              fixed disk devices.  mkdosfs will complain and tell
              you that it refuses to  work.   This  is  different
              when  usind MO disks.  One doesn't always need par-
              titions on MO disks.  The filesytem can go directly
              to  the whole disk.  Under other OSes this is known
              as the 'superfloppy' format.

              This switch will force mkdosfs to work properly.

note i have note tested this, i have only used this program on plain
1.44MB floppies before.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/