Re: formatting mod

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Jon Pennington wrote:

> > I tried it now the same way with mkdosfs and it refuses to do so. What
> > is the trick? With partitions on the MOD, the drive designations of the
> > OS/2 system, with which the data have to be exchanged, will be messed
> > up.
>
> I'm just shooting from the hip here, but you may be using the wrong fs
> type.  IIRC, mkdosfs uses the DOSFS type used on floppies.  You should
> look at the tool mkfs.vfat for starters; vfat is just large FAT with an
> extended segment for long file names, and even OS/2 should be able to
> use /those/ 8.3 tables.

I tried mkfs.vfat and it says the same:

alphons:/home/khe# mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc
mkfs.vfat 2.5 (07 Jan 2000)
mkfs.vfat: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/sdc'

I guess, there must be something missing. Perhaps DOS formatted
superfloppies need an extra treatment in addition?

What I am confused about is this windows-like absolutely uninformative
"error message". Couldn´t this mkfs beast be a little bit more specific?

;-/

Regards,

Kerstin

--