Re: Install/Config q's

D-Man  <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
D> The only problem is that many of the packages are old (ie gnome-*,
D> sawmill, python, etc).  When was Potato released?

Only a couple of months ago.  Some of the packages are likely older
because Debian goes through a substantial freeze to make sure that
every package in the upcoming stable release actually works.

D> (that may be the problem and woody might have the newer packages)
D> How unstable is woody?

Well, things that have broken or massively changed in the past month
include X, libc, Perl, and now the archive itself.  (There are reports
that the Perl installation is still broken, new versions of XFree86
are uploaded every couple of days, and the archive just went through a
massive change in how packages are installed.)  If you really want to
live on the bleeding edge, it's there for you, but try to keep up on
what's happening (absolutely positively subscribe to debian-news and
debian-devel-announce), be prepared to test things and report bugs,
and don't complain when things break.

D> When I looked at the inittab file, it had a comment saying that
D> runlevels 2-5 are mutlti-user.  Ok, but not enough information.  I
D> have been using RH for 2 years, and it has runlevel 5 for X and 3 for
D> full multi-user.  Does Debian use the same runlevels?  I know some
D> distros use different nubers than RH.  (The inittab should explicitly
D> list each runlevel)

By default, all of runlevels 2-5 are the same (with the possible
exception of the number of getties run).  If you want to set it up to
work just like Red Hat, great; adjust the symlinks in /etc/rc[2-5].d
to taste.  By default, every service is run in every runlevel.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell