Re: subnets & 2 NICS in a mashine

On Wednesday 08 November 2000 23:21, John wrote:

> As far as i know you will have to use 2 subnets and if you want the
> 192.168.0.xxx range to be able to talk
> to the 192.168.1.xxx range you will need to do ipforwarding between the 2.

I agree with this assessment.

> robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> > Would someone kindly help me in understanding why I cannot configure
> > two ethernet cards using the same subnet but different IP's on one
> > mashine?
> >
> > In this case I would like to setup a linux server for a smb-win32 and
> > a nfs-nfs connection (in all 3 mashines)
> >
> > Any short comment is appreciated
> >
> > Robert

Now, I'm not quite sure what your setup is here, so let see if your setup is
the same as mine...

1 linux box, serving NFS and SMB to 2 desktops that dual-boot linux and
windows 98.

Under linux, I mount (among other things), /home over nfs, so that when I log
in to any linux computer, I have the same files available.

Under windows, I map a drive letter (H:) to an SMB share of my home
directory, accomplishing roughly the same thing.

I do this all on one network.  I use another machine (on the same network) as
a router/gateway/firewall to my dial-up account.

Now, are you serving 3 computers with your nfs/smb linux box in roughly the
same way as I am?  Is there some reason you want to use two different NICs?

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.