Re: subnets & 2 NICS in a mashine

Ok ill have a go,

I think its something like this :) ?

for each IP number bound to each NIC a route is set up in the routing table to tell
the OS what to do with specific IP numbers

ie if NIC1=192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

and NIC2=192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

then routes would be set up for each subnet within the OS

ie 192.168.0.xxx ----> NIC1 ie packets in the 192.168.0.1 up to 254 get sent here
    192.168.1.xxx----->NIC2    packets in the 192.168.1.1 up to 254 get sent here

there will no doubt be additional routes to deal with gateways , local, etc.

now if NIC1 and NIC2 lie on the same range

192.168.0.xxx -----> NIC1 ie 192.168.0.1
????             -----> NIC2 ie 192.168.0.2

as i understand it you cannot have more then one route entry per subnet 192.168.0.xxx
so all packets in the range 192.168.0.xxx get sent to NIC1.

As far as i know you will have to use 2 subnets and if you want the 192.168.0.xxx
range to be able to talk
to the 192.168.1.xxx range you will need to do ipforwarding between the 2.

Still learning here, mind you the more i learn the more there is to know < sigh >

cheers