Re: cannot find the Kernelimage aft compiling

Frederik Vanrenterghem wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> > > Of course I installed all neccessary src's, how would I've launched
> > make xconfig without doing this first?
>
> Nobody said otherwise.
>
> > The kernel compiled without any errors - but which file is the correct
> > one? I'm aware my expressing is not as good as someone who grew up
> > with english as his native language - but is it that bad?
>
> As the original answer stated clearly: the generated kernel image can be
> found (in package kernel-image_2.2.17.revision.deb) in your /usr/src/
> directory. Install this package with dpkg -i package (and update your
> /etc/lilo.conf if necessary) and your new kernel will be installed.

Ok, I think I got it. Debian seems to provide a combined
kernel-compile-install routine with the help of kernel-package. I
didn't know that, in fact I would rather keep the old way and not
access the help of all these whisles and bells. Additionally, I have
the impression that every distribution wants to go 'their way', a
reason way I actually stayed away from SuSe, even Redhat seems to have
changed their previous path.

As I previously stated, the image cannot be found in src/../boot/..
and I would really like to understand why the current 2.2.17 kernel is
a exe while my old 2.0.38 kernel is 'simple' binary file?

Would someone help without just referring to a tool?

Thanks

Robert