Re: apt-get, gnome-apt, dselect, which to use?

Willy Lee <willy2@jps.net> wrote on 29/09/2000 (09:43) :
> Hello all,
>
> After my first 'apt-get update', I wanted to see a list of what was
> newly available to install or upgrade.  'man apt-get' left me no wiser
> as to whether there is a way to do this with apt-get.  What I ended up
> doing was guessing as to a package name, and doing 'apt-get -s install
> foo' to see if it existed.  Is there a better way?  Or do you
> generally use something like gnome-apt or dselect to do this?
>
> Also, is there a way to find out what packages
> depend/suggest/recommend with apt-get?  Or a description of a package?

List all files:    dpkg -L pacakge
list all packages: dpkg -l

I use apt-get, dpkg and dselect. You also have aptitude, apt-console.

> I guess what I'm getting at is, can I do everything just with apt-get,
> or do you need to use something else for this kind of stuff.

This is perhaps because you use Emacs :-) One monster app should do
_everything_ kind of attitude :-)

No, apt-get and dpkg is a killer combo.

Preben Vim user. No emacs installed.

--
Preben Randhol - Ph.D student - http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/
"i too once thought that when proved wrong that i lost somehow"