sparc boxes

I've noticed that older sparc boxes are going for
reasonable prices on ebay.  I've been running Debian
on Intel HW for sometime now, and would like to hack
on some Risc equipment, maybe some of the older sparc
equipment would play well (and Debian runs on it).
Problem is I know nothing about Sun equipment and
don't know what to look for and what to avoid.  Can
anyone give me some advise here?  Also which of the
sparc models are 64 bit (don't think any of them have
hit ebay yet?).

Thanks.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!