Re: Multiple netscapes; multiple x servers; a question

Douglas Eck <doug@idsia.ch> wrote:

> My wife and I use the same debian box. We don't want to log
> in and out, and so I've been logging in as her in KDE,
> doing an xhost + mymachine and then using telnet/ssh to
> log in as me.
>
> <snip>

> Two possible solutions:
> 1) Netscape 4.75 works and all is well. We can continue with this plan.
> 2) Run 2 xservers and ctrl-alt-Fx back and forth.
>
> Does this second solution slow things down a lot? I have a 350K6 with 128Mb RAM.
> Also, is there a MINI-HOWTO on setting up two Xservers. I thought it would
> be really easy but had some troubles getting everything to work "just so".

I have used your second option on my machine (233 MHz Pentium x 2 SMP and 128 Mb
ram) to run two X servers both with KDE.  I have not noticed any difference from
when I have just the one X server running.

I just change to console tty2 (CTR-ALT-F2) and start X thus:  startx kde -- :1

I have not noticed any problems.

Barry Samuels