Re: xscreensaver password

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 01:29:07AM -0400, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> > password    required    pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5
> > to tell if your password is md5 format, look in /etc/shadow (or passwd
> > if you don't use shadow) if it starts with $1$ its md5, otherwise its
> > crypt.
>
> Wont this invalidate your old passwords, or does it detect that they used
> a crypt based hash and use that instead? Otherwise I guess you have to be
> careful to make sure you run passwd before you log out after making this
> change.

pam_unix uses the glibc 2.1 crypt() funtion to do password
verification, in glibc 2.1 crypt() can tell the difference between md5
and old style hashes based on the salt you provide. (the $1$)

so to answer your question no your old crypt hashes will work fine,
the next time you change your password though it will be a md5 hash.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/