screen being blanked every 2 or 3 seconds?

Hello.

I have woody + kernel 2.4.0-test7 running on a Pentium III for some
time, and everything was ok until some days ago, when I got some
strange problem with X.

It suddenly begins to blank the screen (actually, there's a slight
flash, as if the monitor got into sleep mode or something) -- but this
is when I'm working. Typing or moving the mouse brings everything
back, but 2 or 3 seconds later it goes dark again. It eventually stops
if I try to minimize and bring back windows, use a console, etc, but I
couldn't determine exactly what makes it work properly again. And I
also didn't notice what triggers the problem...

I tried this with X 4.0.1 and with 3.3.6, and the same problem
happened. Also tried different kernels -- 2.4.0-test7 and
2.4.0-test[3,4,5] (didn't try the 2.2.X yes, but I will). I don't
think it's the kernel or X, I believe it's some of the packages that
were upgraded recently in woody...

Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm not using gdm, and I also tried stopping gpm, disabling ACPI in
the kernel and BIOS, disbling/enabling APM in the BIOS... Didn't
help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil