Re: stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:42:18AM +0200, Michalowski Thierry wrote:

> > > Issue 1:  I can't figure out how to stop default windows manager
> > > ((fvwm)) from automatically starting upon boot into linux.  I simply
> > > want to start from a shell and then enter "startx" when I
> > want to get
> > > into a GUI.  I've tried to open up "inittab" to see about changing a
> > > "5" to a "3" somewhere amidst all the command
> > lines---((thought I read that
> > > from another post)) but I can't figure it out.  There  are many
> > > command lines in there and I don't know what they do, or refer to.
> > >
> > > If it would be helpful to see my inittab file, I'll post it.  Just
> > > didn't want to irritate folks with an inordinately long post.
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove gdm
> >
> Lighter solution: there should be a line resembling this in your
> /etc/inittab:
> "id:5:initdefault:"
> Change the 5 to 3 in it.
> I assume you just want to log in runlevel 3 and not 5, not uninstall gdm!

You all must be confusing Debian with RedHat (or something).  The
default Debian configuration treats all multiuser runlevels exactly the
same.  And the default runlevel would be 2.  Anyway, removing xdm or gdm
or wdm or whatever display manager will do the trick.  Also, removing
the link(s) in /etc/rc?.d that look like S99xdm will stop the display
manager from starting (you'll want to leave at least one link so
upgrades don't "reset" the defaults. See man update-rc.d for more info).

--
According to MegaHAL:
    The emu is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.