RE: stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

Title: RE: stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

> > Issue 1:  I can't figure out how to stop default windows manager
> > ((fvwm)) from automatically starting upon boot into linux.  I simply
> > want to start from a shell and then enter "startx" when I
> want to get
> > into a GUI.  I've tried to open up "inittab" to see about changing a
> > "5" to a "3" somewhere amidst all the command
> lines---((thought I read that
> > from another post)) but I can't figure it out.  There  are many
> > command lines in there and I don't know what they do, or refer to.
> >
> > If it would be helpful to see my inittab file, I'll post it.  Just
> > didn't want to irritate folks with an inordinately long post.
>
> apt-get --purge remove gdm

Lighter solution: there should be a line resembling this in your /etc/inittab:
"id:5:initdefault:"
Change the 5 to 3 in it.
I assume you just want to log in runlevel 3 and not 5, not uninstall gdm!

HTH
Thierry