Re: pppd error

I believe that pppd recognizes a "nodetach" option, which prevents it
from forking/exec'ing to run in the background.  Since you are using the
'exec' shell command, I'd say you want it in the background, so you can
get that result by running the command as:

pppd connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' crtscts modem....

(I'm assuming the command line you gave is correct, without the
backslashes;-)

I'm not sure about the HOWTO you used, but the one I had (different
name, but I don't remember what it was), had some "errors" with respect
to my SuSE Linux setup.  I think the errors were really differences in
how SuSE had configured certain files.