pppd error

After I finished reading the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO and making sure all my
files were as the HOWTO instructed I did this from the bash command line:

exec pppd connect \ 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \-detach crtscts modem
defaultroute \ user (myusername) \ /dev/modem 38400

Then I got the following error message:

pppd: option not recognized: -detach

And I was automatically kicked out of bash back to the login prompt.  I
had been logged in as root.

I looked at the pppd manual and infact it does not list a detach option.
But this is how the HOWTO said to do it so I don't know where to go to
get help.

I have not been able to successfully connect to my ISP using Debian/GNU
Linux.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
M.Henry