Re: esound (woody) broken?

Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> :: On Sat, 10 Jun 2000 18:04:17 +0200, Dietmar <di.oelz@pfeilheim.sth.ac.at> said:
>
> > As already postet twice, I have problems with sound after installing potato. I'm
> > using just the same sound card. (Creative PCI 128-Ensoniq 1371) Whenever I use gnome
> > or sawfish with sound-support everything on my X-server freezes while I play mp3s.
> > I still didn't found any solution
>
> Oh, well... I can play mp3s here. What are you using to play them? In
> xmms, try chosing the OSS driver instead of esound.
>
> The only thing that's not working here is esound.
>
> BTW, I'm running woody.
>
> J.

I'm using xmms and it doesn't change anything whether I choose the OSS-driver or esound.
In fact I figured out that gnome is not responsible for it in a special way, because
similar things happen when I use fvwm95 without gnome. Whenever I'm running a
sound-device consuming program and I try to start a second one, the second one will
freeze as long as the sound device (/dev/dsp) is given free by the first one. (e.g. I run
an mp3-player and try to start xblast: the introductory tcl/tk-script of xblast is
running fine, but after pressing "Start XBlast" nothing happens until the mp3-player
finishes playing)
Under gnome this has the effect that everything freezes.

As I don't think that such a behaviour is intended I'd be glad to get any advice how to
repair this.

Cheers, Dietmar