esound (woody) broken?

Hi.

Did anyone have problems with esound in woody?

I just installed a Creative Ensoniq PCI sound card, and it works well,
except that when I try to use esound. It plays one second, and then
repeats that over and over (until I kill esd)... I saw no bug filed
against esound, and nothing in the docs, so I thought I could be doing
something wrong.

I also tried to install alsa, but dselect refuses to do that without
removing a lot of other packages (even when I included libes-alsa). I
also tried to force it (with Q), but it still wanted to remove the
packages when I'd install... Strange.

So... Did anyone else have this problem?

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil