Re: Newbie Slink install CDROM problem on old computer

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:07:26PM -0400, Andy L. Krietemeyer wrote:

> I have run dmesg and it reports my CDROM has been probed as "hdh".
> Answering "hdh" or "/dev/cdrom" or "dev/hdh" does nothing to help.

Hi,

If the CDROM is plugged in the primary or secondary IDE controller on
the motherboard then it would normally be hda-hdd.  Since this is what
most people do with modern gear, the default devices are only hda-hdd.

If you are like me and your CDROM is hanging off a soundcard or
add-in card, then hda-hdd isn't enough.  If this is your case, you need
to add a mount point.  I had that problem with my /dev/hde.

If this is your case and you need to add a mount point, log in as root:

cd /dev
ls -l hdh             (to see if you already have one)

if not
./MAKEDEV -n -v hdh   (-v is verbose, -n is "simulate")

The above is a dry run; you haven't actually done anything.

if the dry run looks good, then
./MAKEDEV -v hdh      (for real this time, no -n)

Even if this isn't your problem, I don't think it will break anything.
I have mount points for /dev/hdc and hdd, and I don't have those
devices, so I wouldn't think it would matter.

Then you might need to make a link to cdrom:
ln -s hde cdrom

Good luck!

--

Thank you,